Monday, April 23, 2012

Same Old, Same Old

Dad is in a holding pattern.  He spends most of his day sleeping in his chair watching golf and now that the season is in full swing, baseball.  I see him daily during the week and on the weekends, Keith helps me out by taking Dad for walks if the weather is good.  He is very weak and can barely transfer from his chair to the wheelchair without great effort.  He is still able to comprehend most of what is going on, but he cannot speak his words without losing his breath or his train of thought. Hospice workers come and see Dad regularly: the social worker, the chaplain, the nurse, the certified nurse assistant who bathes him unless he says no.  We seldom take Dad to dinner anymore since he basically eats nothing.  For a while he was drinking Burger King strawberry milk shakes, but a week or so ago, he nixed them as well.  We did make it successfully to half of the sedar dinner that the senior living facility hosted during Passover.  We did not make it for the caregiver to bring him to our house the following Sunday for fried matzah with the kids and the boys.  My brother and his wife came for a brief visit at the beginning of the month.  They move to Albuquerque in June.  Last week I hired a new care management company.  The old one never returned my calls and that was hurtful to my sensitive self.  I hired the company so that I could plan on getting up to Vail for the concert season without worrying about being around for Dad.  I also hired them to visit Dad twice a week just to break up the monotony and spell me a bit.  We'll see.  Dad's friend from Chicago is planning an early May trip to see his daughter and Dad.  I hope Dad's still here to see him.  We take it day by day.

No comments:

Post a Comment